(For immediate release)
27 June 2014
SAIA ELECTS A NEW BOARD
The South African Insurance Association’s (SAIA) members held the 2014 Annual General Meeting of the association on 25 June. At this meeting members committed to a revised Code of Conduct.
Members elected to the Board at the AGM are:
- Mr. Wayne Abraham (AIG South Africa Ltd.)
- Mr. Tom Creamer (Telesure Short-term Insurance)
- Mr. Daryl De Vos (Africa Re (SA) Ltd.)
- Mr. Garikai Dhombo (Alexander Forbes Insurance Company Ltd.)
- Mr. Ian Kirk (Santam Ltd)
- Mr. Nic Kohler (Hollard Insurance Company Ltd.)
- Mr. Edwyn O’Neill (Zurich Insurance Company SA Ltd.)
- Mr. Anton Ossip (Discovery Insure Ltd.)
- Mr. René Otto (MiWay Insurance Ltd.)
- Mr. Terrance Ray (SCOR Africa Ltd.)
- Mr Willem Roos (OUTsurance Insurance Company Ltd.)
- Mr Adam Samie (Lion of Africa Insurance Company Ltd.)
- Mr Herman Schoeman (Guardrisk Insurance Company Ltd.)
- Ms. Denise Shaw (Standard Insurance Ltd.)
- Mr. John Sibanda (Lloyd’s South Africa (Pty) Ltd.)
- Mr. Raimund Snyders (Mutual & Federal Insurance Company Ltd.)
Mr Themba Gamedze will continue as Chairman of the Board.
After the meeting Mr Themba Gamedze, Chairman of the SAIA Board, highlighted that, “Engaging with our policy makers, legislators, regulators, business partners and the broader society is imperative to the Short Term Insurance industry as it plays a foundational role in the success of the economy.”
Mr. Gamedze also addressed the challenges the industry is currently faced with. He pointed out that, “The industry faces a host of challenges with regulatory reforms, the skills gap, emerging market access to financial services and extreme weather systems.”
Mr. Barry Scott, SAIA Chief Executive echoed the SAIA Chairman’s sentiments and highlighted the importance of working together to address tomorrow’s economic challenges, “The industry needs to harness its own talent to enable them to meet the challenges heading its way.”
Members attending the 2014 AGM also signed a Code of Conduct to reaffirm their commitment to strengthen and promote a vibrant short term insurance industry, characterised by financial soundness, efficiency and value proposition which is both fair to its customers and our future customers.
The Chairman’s address can be found on the SAIA website (www.saia.co.za).
Issued by the South African Insurance Association (SAIA)
For more information please contact:
Telephone: +27 11 726 5381
About the SAIA
The SAIA is the voice of the short term insurance industry. It represents the industry at all levels and with all stakeholders, to ensure a sustainable and dynamic short term insurance industry for the benefit of all South Africans. The SAIA represents most of the short term insurance companies in South Africa and is authorised to negotiate on their behalf. The Association has 60 members who abide by the SAIA code of conduct. The SAIA also participates and is represented in various organisations within and outside the insurance industry.